Sunday, May 13, 2007

Ramblings

I'm such white trash.

Seriously. You should see me right now. I'm sitting here in a tank top that very closely resembles a wife-beater (ugh. hate that word), arms red as lobsters. We went golfing yesterday, and being the dolt that I am, I forgot to apply sunscreen on the parts of my body exposed to those hateful UV rays. I look like someone who just spent an entire Sunday afternoon at a racetrack, guzzling Budweiser and shouting obscenities at Jeff Gordon. Add a couple pounds of unfortunately placed body hair, and I'd be a NASCAR poster child.

I really like golf, which is kind of a surprise. Growing up, I never really got into sports. I liked books much better, and thus spent all my days indoors with my nose between pages. I started wanting to learn a few years ago, but never had the time or the resources to get started. Plus, I didn't know anyone who golfed. Then I met Steve. He's been golfing pretty much his entire life, and for some crazy reason volunteered to teach me about a year ago. I'm not that bad, but certainly not that good, either. My approach to it is to just step up, swing and hope to make contact. People literally spend thousands of dollars and years of their time trying to perfect their golf swings. I'm not sure I'm that focused. I try, though, and I'm getting better, if I do say so myself.

That's pretty much how we spent the entire weekend. We hit the driving range Friday, then two small courses Saturday. Steve hurt his elbow yesterday morning horsing around with me, which affected his game, so we went to the driving range again this afternoon so he could throw his clubs and cuss -- I mean, "work out the kinks." It's nice to have something to do outdoors. I hate sitting around all day.

Although I do enjoy being home from time to time. Steve and I are such bad children. We didn't go see either of our mothers on Mother's Day. Perhaps it was selfish, but we just wanted to stay here. We haven't been home in, like, four weekends in a row, and the traveling is starting to wear on us. It was great to sleep in and take the weekend at a leisurely pace. I probably should have spent some time on homework, or getting caught up on work-related things. I'm having a hard time bringing myself to that point. This is my last week in this class, which is awesome. And I only have two more weeks before starting the new job. I'm really looking forward to that. This is the first time in my life I'll have the opportunity to earn a decent living (i.e. take home enough money to *not* qualify for WIC assistance!), and that really, really thrills me. I feel like there are all sorts of grown-up things I need to catch up on now that I won't be living in poverty. Just for fun, here's the list:

1. Buy new clothes. Somehow, I don't think Old Navy flip-flops will be appropriate.
2. Pay off bills. I've been working on this for oh, about six years now.
3. Become one of those women who actually get their hair cut every six weeks. And get some style! Use product! Whoo-hoo!
4. Cosmetic upgrades. No, not plastic surgery. I like my features, and I have awesome boobs, thank you very much. I'd like to have some microdermabrasion to remove some acne scars, and maybe some botox or something to fill in a few dents. That's right, botox. Shut up. I would totally do it, and I'm not the least bit ashamed to say it.
5. Nicely decorate our place. We've decided to put off buying a house until the beginning of next year. In the meantime, I plan to pour over decorating books and magazines to get ideas. I like earthy colors and clean, spacious rooms. I hate, hate, hate clutter. In fact, I'm feeling sharp urges to tear through our place and purge a bunch of crap. And I do mean crap. I just don't know where to start. Most of this stuff is Steve's, anyway. I'm pretty sure you could take all of my earthly possessions and fit them into my car. Which comes in handy if I ever have to live on the street.

That's all I can think of for now, but that's still a pretty ambitious list. I can't wait to get started with the job. These last two weeks are going to d-r-a-g. And it's sooo hard to perform a job you're not all that excited about to begin with, when you know you'll be leaving. I just don't care about it. I haven't cared about it in a while, which is precisely why it was time to find a new job. Well, that and the fact that I was paid peanuts, worked in craphole office and had to use ancient equipment. Who expects their employees to publish a paper with only one computer for four people? Ridiculous!

Alas, for the next two weeks, it's my job to care. But you can bet your sweet booty I'll be counting down every motherloving second.

No comments: