Monday, July 23, 2007

The Comforts of Home

I don't know how this fits in with my girl-power attitude, but I enjoy domesticity. I like cooking, cleaning and taking care of all things related to home. I haven't gotten to do much of it lately, what with limited financial resources, work, two grad classes and a bunch of messy boys. This house is in chaos right now, and it's stressing. me. out.

A co-worker once told me that a former boss of mine had made a remark about how I "like things just so." I was angry at first (I didn't really like this particular boss), but I (begrudgingly) realize that she was right. I like order and structure in my life, and I'm at my happiest when things are neat, organized and occur as scheduled.

Today, I started going home on my lunch break. The benefits of this are numerous: it saves money, it's better for my health, and it gives me an hour to accomplish those little household odds and ends that there never seems to be time for in the evenings. I'm actually at home right now, and I've made the bed, started the dishwasher and put in a load of laundry. All of this will contribute to my sanity later this evening, as I attempt to finish my last two assignments for these courses.
I'm a terrible procrastinator.

That's something else I'm hoping to accomplish in the next few weeks ... to get on -- and stay on -- top of things. I've already warned Steve that this next week will be filled with cleaning, organizing and purging this house. We collect way too many things that we just don't need. Secondly, I'm making a vow right here and now to keep up better with my schoolwork. I've done very well as far as grades are concerned, but I wait far too long to start assignments, often pushing it off until the day it's due, then getting crazy stressed trying to get it all done. That's just stupid. It makes me feel horrible and worried, and I'm pretty sure Steve is sick of it, too, as I'm an absolute bear when I hit panic mode.

There are many aspects of my life that need maintenance. I suppose when you begin the "steady decline toward 30" (that's for you, Erin!), it's time for a routine check-up. I feel like I'm beginning that stage where you're supposed to really start getting everything together, finding out who you are and where your life is headed. It's pull-your-head-out-of-your-ass-time!

After tonight, I have a one-month break from schoolwork, and during that time I'm going to be doing a lot of thinking, a lot of cleaning, and a lot of just calming the eff down. For the last few months I've experienced this strong, nearly overwhelming urge to simplify, simplify, simplify ... in all areas. With money, with possessions, with worries, with everything. I need to learn to take my time and start enjoying the little things ... which are the best things, anyway.

Deep breath ... release. Live!

1 comment:

Dixie said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog - I hope you'll return often!

I'm not a stellar housekeeper but I love the feeling a clean house gives me. A sense of order and calm. I feel better about myself when my home looks neat and tidy.

Of course by the looks of my kitchen right this moment I don't feel so great about myself. Heh!